.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Problem Finding, Department of

There have been so many books and things about problem-solving that we figure most problems are already solved. So we need more problems to keep all those expert problem solvers busy.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

 

The Future of IM

Somebody asked about the future of IM. That suggested my next item on “You know you’re in Geeksville when:”

You have to run three programs to get a two letter service.

Actually, I don’t see a big future for text IM. I don’t people will type when they can talk. I have used and liked Microsoft IM for voice conferencing. I never use it for text messaging. I think IM will morph into VIM. Voice IM. Here’s my scenario:

You handle all contacts through your WA (Web Assistant). This is probably part of your extended ISP service, taking advantage of the immediate and trusted connection with your ISP. Your WA has a list of your contacts and the ways you can reach them. That means phone, voice mail, e-mail, IM, VIM, and conferencing (at least). When you select my name, your WA updates the display to show my current contact status. It just checks with my WA. (I’ll have my secretary call your secretary.) That part of my WA is running at my ISP, so nothing comes to my computer. My WA knows my status because my computer sends it private messages as needed.

My status includes what contacts I am currently accepting. You are on my contact list, with IM and VIM authorized and prioritized. I also told my WA my current status (I am offline except to top priority). So your WA shows VIM (Offline). You can send me a VIM, but don’t expect a quick response from me.
Now a slight change. Current IM providers see a proprietary advantage in not connecting to other services. So your WA packages your VIM as e-mail. My WA is working at my ISP and reads my e- mail as soon as it comes in. My ISP is SBC, which is in a position to expedite communications. So, even though it is e-mail, the delivery is probably instant in a human time frame.

My WA notes that there is a VIM for me and that I have just indicated I am back online to everyone. Part of my WA is on my computer and that part will take IM from the other part. So I get a text message saying I have a VIM from you. IM works the same way: It is wrapped in an e-mail, with an IM marker on it. If I am accepting IM, I get the message from you. The difference is that it is not handled by MS or AOL for their proprietary advantage. It is handled by my WA, which works for me and does what I want.

If I am not accepting IM, the WA will have other instructions. Default: email. If I am actually away, I may have set messages from you at top priority. My WA will know how to reach me (private cell phone number, for example). It will call me and offer to deliver the message; Play a VIM file or read (text-to-speech) a text IM.

You will, of course, get an immediate response from my WA. It will say essentially the same things a secretary would say if you called to leave a message.

Results: I have a port open for my WA, but nobody else can reach it because my ISP is blocking it. My WA screens for SPIM, viruses, and other unwanted items. It also uses the priorities I put in my contacts file.

My WA can file all my IM messages along with my e-mail. It can use the same folder rules and it can search both at the same time. That cures the archiving problems unless you get a subpoena. I will have suggestions on this. Partly because I used my Vulcan rule (Seek the superset.) Here, the superset is the set of all services like IM. The WA would handle many of these services, so I’ll probably comment on some of them. Then, too, I am sure some people will explain to me why this can’t be done. It is always interesting to keep track of the reasons why something can’t be done. Good reading after the thing is done.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?